“We need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth.” - Virginia Satir, family therapist.
It is Friday, September 13 and so we decided to talk about 13 most important benefits of these small gifts called "hugs" that we can give each other every day!
When two hearts ♥ are pressed together in a hug:
- We communicate our feelings in a way words cannot
- It helps us be more open and communicate better.
- The bonding and trust hormone Oxytocin is released and we feel safe
- It reduces the feelings of loneliness, anger and depression.
- It is easier to handle conflicts
- A recent research, led by Carnegie Mellon’s Michael Murphy, reveals the important role that hugs can play in buffering against the negative impact of interpersonal conflict such as disagreements and arguments. When individuals experienced conflict when they had had a hug, they experienced less negative affect and more positive affect.
- We increase intimacy and that improves our sex life
- Hugging can lead to kisses and kissing may lead to more intimate moments. A hug a day can improve the intimacy in your marriage. It can even lead to a more vibrant sex life. ;)
TIP: Try out clothing for hugs to spice up your foreplay and start playing already outside the bedroom ;)
- Stress hormone Cortisol leaves our body and we are protected from stress-related illness
- When we are stressed our nerve endings send information to the body to release the hormone cortisol. This hormone slows down the body’s healing process. Cortisol stimulates the body’s ‘fight or flight’ response, which, if not controlled, creates a number of health problems. Studies have shown that hugging can affect cortisol levels in the body by causing the release of a hormone, oxytocin, known as the ‘love hormone’.
- More Serotonin is released in our bodies
- That makes us feel more happy, just improves our mood!
TIP: Try making it a pleasant surprise too. Surprises release great hormones that remind us of the feeling of falling in love. A surprising touch of skin through the secret pocket might awaken great feelings!
- Our immune system is boosted
- The pressure on Solar plexus and chest bone supports release of white blood cells and keeps us healthy.
- Scientists have been investigating the link between physical touch and a healthy immune system. In a 2015 study involving 404 healthy adults, researchers from Carnegie Mellon University examined the effects of receiving hugs on the immune system. Participants were tested on their susceptibility to the common cold, after being exposed to the virus. It turns out that the people who received more hugs, and greater social support, were less likely to get sick.
- We feel more self-confident
- Touch is the first of our senses we develop in the womb and reaches maturity well before the other senses do, the touches of our parents make us feel loved. This feeling is saved in out nervous system and hugs remind us of this.
- Our muscles relax
- During a hug the blood circulation is improved in soft tissue, this helps release muscle stress and pain.
- This keeps us young and maintains our muscle strength
- Research results demonstrate that Oxytocin is important in maintaining a youthful body and healthy muscles. Since hugging increases the body’s capacity to release oxytocin, it also has the capability to help prevent ageing. ;)
- Our nervous system is balanced
- When we hug, a network of tiny, egg-shaped pressure sensors called the pacinian corpuscles send messages to the brain via the Vagus nerve, this creates a more balanced nervous system.
- It is like Meditation
- Hugs teach us of being here and now. They fill us with energy and change our thinking, they help us understand feelings.
- We exchange energy
- Filling us with empathy and understanding.
Moreover, hugs can help with: relieving pain, depression, insomnia and anxiety and even food cravings.
Devoted to my best friend and husband, Kārlis Andersons, and my two soul-mates Karlīna and Elīza!
About the Author:
P.S. We've created clothing for hugs to remind us of hugging every day in a fun way! Check it out: